What happens if you get in an accident with Uber?
Even though car accidents are common, they often happen when you least expect them. You can be involved in a crash as a driver or passenger, and—in either situation—you might suffer serious injuries. After the trauma of a crash, it is normal to be unsure of what to do. If you are in an accident with Uber, first get the medical treatment you need, and then contact an Uber car accident attorney in Los Angeles for assistance. Following an accident, your lawyer can guide you through the steps of your individual claim based on your specific circumstances. While each claim is different, the following process often applies:
- You need to obtain a medical diagnosis for your injuries and start your treatment.
- If you believe someone else was to blame for the accident, consult with a lawyer right away.
- Your lawyer will assess which parties should be liable for your losses.
- Your lawyer will file the necessary insurance claims against all responsible parties and negotiate settlements with each insurer to cover your losses.
- If an insurance claim is unsuccessful, your lawyer can file a lawsuit against the liable parties.
Who is liable if your Uber driver gets in a car accident?
If your Uber driver is in an accident, the cause of the crash determines which parties are liable. For instance:
- If your Uber driver caused the accident, they should be liable for injuries that result.
- When a driver is involved in an active ride, Uber will also share liability for the accident caused by the driver.
- If another driver caused the accident, that driver should be liable.
In many cases, drivers might share liability, or both the Uber driver and Uber can both be liable.
Can a passenger sue an Uber driver?
If you are an Uber passenger and your driver causes an accident and you sustain injuries, the first step of the legal process is generally to file an insurance claim against the driver’s auto insurance policy. However, in many cases, the insurance company will not offer adequate compensation to cover your losses, or will challenge their liability for the accident entirely. In this situation, injured passengers can file a lawsuit against the Uber driver.
Can you sue Uber if their driver causes an accident?
If an Uber driver has accepted a fare and is either on the way to pick up a passenger or actively transporting a passenger, Uber’s coverage applies to accidents caused by the Uber driver. If you need to file a lawsuit to obtain the full compensation you deserve, you can file a lawsuit against Uber in this situation. This is true whether you were an Uber passenger or in another vehicle hit by an Uber driver.
What damages can you recover in an Uber accident?
Uber accidents can result in serious injuries and losses to Uber passengers and others on the road. You want to make sure that you recover fully for your losses, so you should always speak with an attorney who knows how to calculate what damages you should seek. Your damages can include:
- Medical bills you already received
- Estimated costs of future treatment you will need
- Past and future lost earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent injuries, disabilities, or disfigurement
Do you need to tell your insurance company if you drive for Uber?
California requires Uber drivers to have special rideshare insurance policies, so it is necessary for Uber drivers to discuss the coverage they need with their insurance companies. When an Uber driver is not active, their personal coverage applies. The rideshare coverage kicks in when an Uber driver becomes active on the app and available for pickups, which means coverage amounts increase. The coverage increases further when a driver is paired with a passenger or has a passenger in the vehicle, as this means Uber’s coverage will also apply.