22 Sep What to Do If You’re Involved in a Big Rig/Semi-Truck Accident in Sacramento
WHAT DO I DO WHEN I AM INVOLVED IN A TRUCK ACCIDENT IN SACRAMENTO , CA
Being hit by a big rig, truck, or 18-wheeler is a scary and complex situation.
The dynamics change dramatically as the forces created by the massive vehicle are much more damaging than if you were struck by a typical passenger vehicle. Because you’re in a smaller vehicle, you’re likely to sustain more damage and require the assistance of a personal injury lawyer to navigate the various legal and financial concerns that arise.
If you’re involved in a big rig or truck accident, here’s what to do:
- Report the crash and make sure everyone involved in the accident remains at the scene. If there’s personal injury or death, call 911 immediately. Otherwise, call the state police or highway patrol and wait for the officers to arrive.
- Seek medical treatment and have your injuries assessed, whether you’ve sustained visible injuries or not. The lack of medical treatment or documentation of the injuries by a medical professional could interfere with your ability to seek compensation later.
- Identify all parties involved and exchange information. Besides the information of the truck’s driver, take note of the company he/she is driving for, which could potentially be liable for the damages. Document the driver’s name, address, phone number, email address, license number, insurance policy details, and the trucking company’s information.
- Provide only the necessary information (insurance, driver’s license, name, and address) and don’t offer any additional information either in writing or verbally until you consult a personal injury lawyer.
- Check for witnesses at the scene and collect witness statements and contact information.
- Take photos of the accident scene and your injuries with a phone or camera. These images will be used as evidence to determine who was at fault, the severity of your injuries, the amount of damage to your vehicle, and what exactly happened during the accident.
- Document your treatment and recovery process to show the severity and the time required for recovery. This information can help determine the amount of compensation you receive as a result of the accident (e.g., lost income).
- Contact your personal injury lawyer right away. He/she will advise you on dealing with the other parties involved, the insurance adjustors, and law enforcement officials to ensure that you’re maximizing your chances of receiving fair compensation.
IF YOUR ACCIDENT IS CAUSED BY A CITY, COUNTY, OR STATE VEHICLE; FIRE TRUCK; OR CALTRANS, YOU ONLY HAVE SIX MONTHS FROM THE DATE OF YOUR PERSONAL INJURY TO FILE A WRITTEN CLAIM WITH THE CITY OR COUNTY.
Failure to do so will disqualify you from filing a legal complaint. Therefore, it’s crucial that you contact an experienced California personal injury attorney immediately to make sure that you have submitted all the necessary information through the right channels and don’t miss critical deadlines.
CHOOSING A PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY IN SACRAMENTO , CA
If you’re involved in an accident with a big rig, truck, or 18-wheeler, you need an experienced personal injury attorney to help you navigate the often complex situation and maximize your compensation.
You shouldn’t be put through a series of formality or legalese, talk to a slew of “assistance” or paralegals, and jump through hoops just to get a few minutes of your attorney’s attention.
Working with me, you get the straight talk and the personal attention directly from me.
- As a boutique law firm, I’ll communicate with you directly through channels that are most convenient and comfortable for you (in-person meetings, phone, email).
- You can contact and get ahold of me anytime with any question. You’ll get the answer you need without the legal mumble jumble.
- I’m dedicated to serving my clients and appreciate each and every one of them as an individual. That’s why we have been around for 25 years and have earned the trust of the community.
- We have a comprehensive understanding of the California legal process and pay attention to every detail. We understand that you only get one chance to resolve a personal injury claim, and we’re committed to making sure that no vital information is omitted.
When you contact us immediately after a big rig, 18-wheeler, or truck accident at (833) 904-9040 or via this form, you’ll get a completely free confidential case evaluation. If you decide to work with us, we’ll be with you every step of the way, and you won’t need to pay a single dime until we win the case.